Since HBC introduced the flock leader role 5+ years ago, God has blessed Men’s Ministry with many gifted flock leaders. But I sense there are still questions about the flock leader role. So let’s answer some of those.
What is a flock leader?
- Advocate for small group model, purpose and vision
- Resource for small group leaders for support and escalation
- Main ministry is to the small group leaders in their flock in the spirit of 1 Peter 5:2-4 … shepherd the flock of God that is among you, exercising oversight, not under compulsion, but willingly, as God would have you; not for shameful gain, but eagerly; not domineering over those in your charge, but being examples to the flock. And when the chief Shepherd appears, you will receive the unfading crown of glory.
What is the biblical basis for a flock leader?
- OT: Jethro tells Moses in Exodus 18:13-26 to look for able, trustworthy men who fear God to watch over the people as chiefs of 1000s, of 100s, of 50s, of 10s
- NT: 2 Timothy 2:2
… and what you have heard from me in the presence of many witnesses entrust to faithful men who will be able to teach others also.
What are the expectations for flock leaders?
- Visit small groups in their flock every 2-3 months
- Provide feedback to small group leaders
- Ongoing development of small group leaders (via leadership book and/or Bible study in monthly meeting with flock SGLs and 1:1 meetings, calls, emails)
- Identify and help develop apprentices into small group leaders
- Provide monthly flock leader report to Joel and Dan in Small Group Online
Hopefully that helps you understand the flock leader role and responsibilities and prompts all of us to pray for and support our flock leaders.