Skip to main content

Next Stop: The Burn

If you have been following my journey since late October (you can catch up on the early days here: A Journey to I Don't Know Where), you know I have been battling severe headaches daily since then. I say battling, because it makes me feel better. For the most part, the headaches are winning. 

For nearly eight weeks, I have not been able to read without triggering a headache. My quiet times have been listening to the Bible. I have not been able to concentrate without triggering a headache. I have had to slow down my coaching business. I have had to stop almost all ministry with FCA. I am blessed that the Lee County FCA Director and the Southwest Florida FCA Director have allowed me to focus on my health. Anyone who knows me knows how social I am. For these past 7-1/2 weeks, being around a group of people for even fifteen minutes triggers a headache. Kim can see it in me. She just looks at me and says so no one else can hear, "You don't feel good. Do you?" She and I have been able to get out for an occasional lunch or dinner at a place close to home a few times, but that is it. The vast majority of the days, I have had to take what my neurologist refers to as a rescue med and go to sleep for 90 minutes to 2+ hours in the morning to fight off a headache then often take an anti-nausea medicine and take another hour to 90-minute nap in the late afternoon. I estimate that I have slept well over an extra 150 hours. Meanwhile I have had no problem sleeping at night except when a headache or neck pain wakes me up. I think one of the prescriptions I am taking must cause weight loss, because I have lost nearly 30 pounds. Although I am sure the physical stress of this might have something to do with the weight loss.

I am not writing this just to catch you up. I am writing this, because  tomorrow/Monday, besides being Day 54, marks another milestone. At 2:45 pm ET, I will go through a radio frequency ablation on the nerves in my neck at C3, C4, and C5. Using live x-ray, the pain management doctor who has given me two rounds of nerve blocks in my neck over the last four plus weeks will numb the area then insert a needle and an electrode in my neck then heat the nerve to the point that it cannot send pain signals up the right side of my head then repeat the procedure at the other two points. That is the path these headaches, which have been at times debilitating, traveled to start. The previous injections both provided some pain relief and helped us verify the mapping of the nerves associated with these headaches.

It could take as long as three weeks for the ablation to work fully. I could have pain in my neck from the ablation or from muscle spasms for that long too. These procedures work for 80% of the people who get them and provide pain relief for six months and sometimes much longer. Would you please pray that the ablation plus the physical therapy I started for my neck a few weeks back plus the preventative medications I am taking daily for the headaches would make these headaches a rarity so I can return to a regular life, so I relieve Kim, so I can live life with her, so I can serve the coaches and athletes of the schools of western Lee County with FCA, so I can go back to building my coaching practice, so Kim and I can get back to our small group and the ministry that we know God has called us to here in Estero. I know this is a God story. I cannot wait to tell it. I trust him. He is perfect. His timing is perfect.

Regardless of the outcome of the procedure tomorrow, I will praise God. He is worthy. I love him so.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Burn: Stage 2

Today marks exactly thirteen months since an episode I still do not fully understand landed me in the ER. Since then, I have suffered nearly daily headaches. More accurately, I have battled a headache severe enough to require me to take some sort of abortive action somewhere around 60% of the days over the last thirteen months. The majority of the time that means taking a rescue medication often accompanied by an anti-nausea medication, putting an ice pack on my neck, another ice pack over my eyes and head, and sleeping for 2-3 hours in a dark room. Some days I go back to sleep again later the same day. By my rough approximation, I have slept the equivalent of nearly a full month of days of extra time over the last year trying to fight off these headaches. This journey has already taken me places I had never been and places I did not know existed. Of course there is a complicated physical aspect to these headaches. I have worked with my primary care provider, a neurologist, pain manage

One Year Later -- A Look Behind the Mask of James MacDonald

Recently, James MacDonald started a 40-day “devotional” video series leading up to a re-launch into "ministry." He started this series exactly one year to the day that the elders of Harvest Bible Chapel fired him for cause. If you know James MacDonald, you know starting his “devotional” on February 12, 2020 was intentional. If you don’t know James MacDonald, you need to know starting on that date was intentional.  The verse MacDonald used in his February 9 Facebook page teaser post caught my attention : … for a wide door for effective work has opened to me, and there are many adversaries. (1 Corinthians 16:9 ESV) By using this verse and including the second half of the verse, MacDonald hopes to position anyone opposing his return to “ministry” as adversaries. MacDonald regularly portrays himself as under attack or as the victim. He is doing his best to weaponize Scripture here. If you know MacDonald you may share my skepticism. You may share my concern as you see hi

Statement of Repentance

My wife and I have called Harvest Bible Chapel in Chicago our home church for 23+ years. We have seen God do great things in and through Harvest in that time. We have served as small group leaders and coaches and continue to do so. We have been blessed to invest in many couples through newly married small groups. We have led mission trips to help sister churches in Romania, Moldova, and Haiti. We enjoy it all and count it as service to our Lord Jesus. This statement is about my service as an elder at Harvest Bible Chapel. It is a personal statement, not a statement on behalf of anyone else. It is not a statement on behalf of the church. I served as an elder on the larger elder board from 2010 through 2015 (i.e., two consecutive 3-year terms before a mandatory roll-off). I was off the board for the three years between December 2015 and late December 2018. I rejoined the board in late December. Up until a few weeks ago, I counted it a privilege to have served as an elder at Harvest